Thursday, August 11, 2011

Creamy Chicken Taquitos


Recently I made enchiladas that blew John's mind. He was obsessed with them. Since that meal was such a hit I decided to try another Mexican inspired meal and see if it was as big of a hit. These taquitos were quite the rage in the blog world a few months ago so I decided to give them a shot.

Honestly, they couldn't have been any easier to make! Mix some stuff together, stuff it in a tortilla, and roll it. It was super easy and resulted in a delicious meal. Best of all they freeze well which means I will be making these again as part of my meal prep for before the baby comes. I am not a huge Mexican fan and even I really enjoyed these. If you are like my husband and love Mexican I'm sure these would be perfect for you.

Source: Pink Parsley

Ingredients:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup salsa verde
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. chopped scallions
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 cup shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.)
8-12 (6 inch) tortillas, flour or corn
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 425 and grease a cookie sheet.
2- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients, from the cream cheese to the shredded cheese. Stir well until all ingredients are evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
3- Fill each tortilla with 2-3 tbsp of filling, rolling tightly. Place seam side down. Continue until all tortillas are filled. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
4- Bake 15- 20 minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve with salsa, sour cream, etc.

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could make these weight watchers friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel- absolutely! Use low fat cheese and less of it, you can use just 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used less than the 1 cup it calls for). Use wheat tortillas. The rest of the ingredients are just salsa (which is WW friendly) and seasonings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, you have truly got me drooling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds super yummy!!! Would you freeze these, before or after baking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy, I want one now!
    So many great flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I made these tonight, reduced fat version. Carb balance tortillas, reduced fat cheeses. Very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have fallen in love with your blog. It's perfect for me! Simple and yummy looking dishes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds amazing! I'm going to make these tonight for the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turned out great! Will make again. http://scrappyhomemaker.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/recipe-success-creamy-chicken-taquitos/

    ReplyDelete