Sunday, July 17, 2011

Honey Lime Enchiladas


Words can't express how big of a hit these were in our house. I was photographing the enchiladas while John was trying them and I heard "OH MY GOD!!!" from behind me. I turned around, expecting to see he burnt his tongue or something, and instead I found him happily shoveling this into his mouth. He said it was one of his favorite meals I've ever made and he wants me to make it again immediately. I have to agree with him, they were incredible. The chicken was kind of sweet and sticky, wrapped in a crisp shell and topped with delicious cheese and sauce. The combination of flavors was really out of this world. As I'm typing this up I'm wishing I had more in the freezer so I could make these for dinner tonight. I halved the recipe but next time I'd make the whole thing and freeze half- we will certainly be having this over and over again!

Source: Slightly adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup light cream 


Directions:
1- Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour. 
2- Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. 
3- Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. 
4- Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

15 comments:

  1. Anything that gets that kind of reaction gets put on our upcoming menu plan! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOLD! how can I resist your description??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these before, and you're husband is right, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuuum! Anything honey lime and I am there! Can't wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to try this out! Is it whipping cream or sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendra- I didn't use either, I used light cream. It's a type of cream- like heavy cream, etc. It's just a bit less heavy/fattening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's been so long since I have had a good enchilada and they sound so very very good! I would love to give yours a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these last night and I was told by my boyfriend that it's the best thing I've EVER made!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making these tonight but having to wing it with reg enchilada sauce as I couldn't find green anywhere. Hope it doesn't ruin the dish...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally had the opportunity to make these and they are AMAZING!!! You never dissapoint!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these tonight - used corn tortillas instead of flour (because i am obsessed with corn tortillas.) LOVED it! The honey-lime flavor really came through and saved it from being heavy or overly "sauce-y." Much easier to make than I had anticipated. The husband loved them too - will definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These were ah-mazing! I will definitely be making them again. Hubby couldn't stop talking about how wonderful they were. I was out of cream so I stirred a little sour cream into the sauce instead, and it worked great! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these over the weekend... turned out delicious! My boyfriend and roommate LOVED them! I actually used canned chicken and it turned out well- for this, definitely want to marinate it long enough to get rid of the "canned" taste/ smell. I also added a little bit of chopped jalepenos to the chicken mix. For the cream, I used mostly light sour cream and a little bit of skim milk- that turned out great!
    Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious!!! My husband and I love Mexican food and this was a great new recipe to add to our rotation. I'd never made enchiladas with green sauce and loved this variation. Thank you for another wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm making these for the third (maybe fourth!) time tonight. By far one of my favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete