Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cranberry Chicken


After all of the Thanksgiving leftovers were long lost memories there was still one last item in the fridge... a  bowl of my homemade cranberry sauce. I decided to google "cranberry + chicken" and see what I got... you all know my love of googling ingredients. Low and behold this gem turned up.

Now, this recipe is a throw back to my old style of cooking. I used to love throwing a few packaged items together and letting them go. As I've developed my culinary skills I've stepped away from these sorts of recipes but something about this chicken appealed to me. The ingredients sound strange but it reminded me of my mom's catalina chicken. I like the combo of the sweet/savory ingredients.

This was good stuff. John and I were both huge fans of the sauce... it was unreal. I will say we threw out 90% of the sauce... it makes way too much for 2 people. I would definitely serve it with something like rice or mashed potatoes to sop up the sauce. Also, don't let the ingredients list scare you as far as calories goes... you use so little of the sauce per serving so it's not as bad as it may seem. Definitely give this a shot- you can use homemade or canned cranberry sauce... the choice is yours! Either way you'll be thrilled.

Source: Recipegirl.com

Ingredients:

1 cup bottled French Salad Dressing
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce (or 1 cup homemade)
8 boneless chicken breasts (I used legs)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix dressing, soup mix and cranberry sauce in large covered casserole dish. Add chicken and turn to coat.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see if chicken is cooked through. Time depends on how thick your chicken breasts are. If not finished, bake an additional 15 minutes.
4. Serve chicken over rice and drizzle sauce on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment