Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cheerios Banana Muffins


Bananas- love them. Hate when they go from green to black in two days flat though. Ugh.

Black bananas do lead to baking though, which is always a positive thing. I was sick of my same ol' recipes, so I did some quick searching and came up with these muffins. You might be thinking it's weird, and admittedly it kind of is, but I bet you'll be pleased.

The Cheerios on top really do add a little bit of a nice crunch.... the contrast in texture is wonderful. The taste is spot on too. I'd bet these are very kid friendly as well, so give it a shot. What's not to love about bananas, sweet muffin, and Cheerios?! I'm a fan.

**Don't forget to follow me on facebook- click the link and hit "like."


Source: Adapted from Eat Better America


2cups Honey Nut Cheerios
3/4cup all-purpose flour
1/2cup whole wheat flour
1/3cup packed brown sugar
1teaspoon baking powder
3/4teaspoon baking soda
1cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
2/3cup buttermilk
2tablespoons canola oil
2egg whites


1.Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups. Place cereal in food-storage plastic bag; slightly crush with rolling pin to make 1 1/2 cups.
2.In large bowl, mix cereal, flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with whole Cheerios if desired.
3.Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand about 2 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm if desired.

8 comments:

  1. I have some bananas about to go bad, I know what I'll be making for breakfasts this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good! Don't take this the wrong way, but my 1 year old daughter would love these since she loves bananas and she loves cheerios! I'll have to make them for her soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I'm going to make these soon for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Katie from the Cheerios Facebook team here. We think your Cheerios banana muffin recipe looks delicious and we would love to share it with our fans on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Cheerios

    Do we have your permission to write a post about it and link back to your page? Reply to me in this comment thread so I know whether or not you give us the ok. Either way, thanks for sharing the tasty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie- As long as you link back to me, absolutely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie- Also, can you comment here when you post it? I just followed Cheerios on facebook, but I'm a big dork and want to make sure my mom sees it hahahaa! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Stephanie, thanks again for letting us share your recipe with our Facebook community! Tell your mom we plan to post it this Friday -- Hehe we're flattered you want her to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Katie- I'm excited! I passed the news on to her, and she's way more excited than me haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete