Sunday, February 8, 2015

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (Panera Copy-Cat recipe)


The past two winters were so snowy that I almost feel like this is the winter that didn't happen. We've had one major snow storm and that's about it where I live. I'm not really complaining about this, but I do enjoy a good snow day as much as the next guy! A couple weeks ago we had our one and only snow storm and I decided to make tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch. Enter this soup.

This soup was delicious. It was creamy and rich (as it should be with the insane amount of cream in it) but it was also full of flavor. The recipe made a ton so I gave some to my neighbor, froze some, and we are some. I can't wait to defrost the other batch. This is my new staple recipe for tomato soup.

Source: Slightly adapted from  The Pinning Mama

Ingredients:
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 14 oz can chicken broth {or 2 cups}
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
15-20 Basil leaves, chopped

Instructions
1- Combine the tomatoes, broth, and garlic bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.
2- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the sugar and butter and mix until they are dissolved, melted and well combined.
3- Very slowly pour in the heavy cream while simultaneously stirring until all the cream is combined and the soup is creamy. If you don't do it slowly it won't create the thick/creamy texture.
4- Stir in the basil. Let simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment