Sunday, April 25, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes


Growing up my parents would pick up bagels for breakfast every Saturday and my dad would make pancakes every Sunday. This is one of the traditions that I loved so much and I really want to do something similar with my children. I would look forward to the pancakes all week!

I now tutor two little girls on Sunday mornings and I don't get home until 11:30ish, so I haven't really been eating a real breakfast. I typically grab something and run out the door so I'm not late. I was really not in the mood for another granola bar and was craving some serious pancakes. I told John to save his appetite- I would make brunch when I got home- and I went off to tutor with a smile on my face.

These pancakes did not disappoint. They were so light and delicious. Someone, I won't name names, but it might start with a J, ate 8 (yes, EIGHT!) of these bad boys. If you are trying to introduce more whole grains into your diet and aren't loving the flavor of whole wheat, give these a shot. Even the most critical of people will love these.

Source: Chef Mommy, originally from Cooking Light

Ingredients
Makes 6 servings (12 pancakes)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

Directions:
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

** 7 points per serving (2 pancakes, 2 tablespoons syrup, and 1 1/2 teaspoons butter)

1 comment:

  1. I've made these and I LOVE them...some of my favorite pancakes ever!!

    ReplyDelete