Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ravioli in a Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce



April is National Poetry Month and my students have been learning about poetry in reading and writing. The other day I was meeting with a student to review his poems and he had written a poem about ravioli. Ravioli! I was cracking up- such a random topic- but his poem was awesome. Not only was the writing good but I was left craving some ravioli. I was craving them so badly that I had to go to Costco immediately and get some spinach and cheese ravioli- delish.

This sauce is really barely a sauce. I just thew together some odds and ends and poured it on top of the ravioli. What I loved was that it was fresh, tasty, and healthy. Can you beat that combination? I think not. John and I both enjoyed this recipe and felt that the sauce was a nice change of pace from the regular marinara sauce.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 package refrigerated ravioli (spinach and cheese were my choice)
1 15 oz. can Fire Roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp. tomato pasta (optional)

Directions:
1- In a small saucepan combine the garlic, and white wine. Heat over medium-high until the garlic is fragrant.
2- Add the can of tomatoes, stir.
3- Season with salt and pepper, add the tomato paste if you want a thicker sauce.
4- Allow the sauce to heat over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes.
5- Serve over the hot ravioli

** 1 point for 1/3 of the sauce recipe

1 comment:

  1. "Barely just sauce" is usually the best kind! You had me at fire roasted tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete