Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chicken Parmesan Soup


Growing up chicken parmesan was my favorite dinner. Anytime I saw my dad frying up chicken cutlets I always asked if we could make them into parmesan. Still to this day it's up there on my list of favorite foods. While this soup is far from the traditional chicken parmesan it's still a delicious soup option. As I was eating it I was thinking how it would be a bit more "parmesany" if I added some croutons... something to consider for next time!

I modified the original recipe a bit by really allowing my tomato sauce to cook for some time with my peppers and onion. I love chicken cacciatore and the flavor peppers and onions give to sauce is amazing- a deep sweetness that can't be replicated! It was a good choice, the cacciatore flavor really shined though. This was a huge winner. We ate it for dinner then both ate the leftovers at work the next day. It was one of my favorite soups to date!

Source: Heavily adapted from Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
14.5 ounces crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
6 ounces mini penne pasta
1 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken, diced
Fresh basil, sliced

Directions:
1- In a large pot add the oil, peppers, and onions. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2- Add the crushed tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to cook with the peppers and onions for 20 minutes on low.
3- Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Add the pasta, chicken, and 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Allow to cook until pasta is soft, about 10 minutes. Taste- season with salt and pepper to taste.
4- Transfer servings to bowls. Top each bowl with a pinch of parmesan and fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment