Monday, February 24, 2014

Blueberry Scones


About a month ago I found myself home on a snow day (surprise!) and was in the mood to bake. Pretty much at that exact moment my good friend, Gina, posted a recipe on her blog's facebook page and I knew I'd have to go make it. I had all the ingredients on hand so it seemed perfect. I ended up altering it a bit here and there, mostly by using frozen blueberries instead of fresh and putting a chocolate drizzle over it instead of a lemon glaze. I was hoping to draw my son in with the chocolate... and it worked.
See those little hands? They are trying to steal the chocolate... 

These scones were delicious. I know some people don't like scones, they don't see the point in eating a dry pastry, but I personally am a fan of any and all baked goods. I also really enjoy Bisquick and tend to enjoy anything that involves it so any excuse to bake with it is a good one in my book!

Source: Adapted from A Hungry Teacher

Ingredients:
2 cups Bisquick
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp apple sauce
3 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
2/3 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, use parchment paper to line 2 baking sheets
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the pancake mix and sugar
3. To that, add the applesauce and vegetable oil. Use a fork or pastry cutter to mix until small crumbs form
4. In a separate, smaller bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate into dough, do not over mix. If too wet, add spoonfuls of pancake mix to thicken it up
6. Add blueberries and fold in
7. Place dough on a heavily floured surface and use your hand to flatten it to about ¾ inch thick.
8. Cut one slice down the middle lengthwise, then cut diagonals so that you are left with triangles
9. Use a spatula to pick up scones (they might still be sticky) and place on prepared baking sheet
10. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through baking time. They should be golden brown when taken out.
11- Allow to cool. When ready, melt chocolate chips and drizzle over the scones. Allow to set before serving.

1 comment: