Friday, May 31, 2013

May Recipe Remake Recap

May went by shockingly fast. I am now entering June, which signifies the end of the year for me. For most June is the halfway point, but as a teacher I really feel like my year starts in September, ends in June, and is on pause for the summer. It's bittersweet to see May end and June approach. I have the best class this year and I'm sad to leave them (or have them leave me I suppose) but I'm excited that I get 2.5 months home with my son. But for now, as I finish up May, I have to say this was a busy month in the kitchen with many remakes. Let's get going!


For a long time this recipe for San Giorgio baked ziti was my all time favorite recipe. It's still my go-to recipe when I want to make a quick baked ziti. Landon is a huge fan so that makes it a sure bet in my book!


May brings Teachers Appreciation Week, so to show how much I appreciate Landon's AMAZING teachers I made a batch of these chocolate mint cake batter cookies for their luncheon. Everyone who had them seemed to enjoy them, so I am glad I made them for them.


As I'm sure you know by now we make a lot of homemade pizza around here. I pretty much put chicken on almost every pizza I make lately, so this Mexican chicken pizza made for an awesome Cinco De Mayo dinner. My salsa was way too spicy this time around but it was still delicious!


Chicken parmesan pasta has become a staple in my house. I always have bags of frozen chicken tenders on hand, so on nights where I really just don't have a desire to cook this pasta is perfect. In the time it takes for the chicken to heat up in the oven I can make the pasta, and before you know it dinner is served. Perfect.


A couples weeks ago I came home late from work and had literally no time to make dinner for Landon before he'd enter melt-down city so I decided to make a batch of these Greek yogurt pancakes. One thing I learned with these- if you're going to freeze them flash freeze them first before you throw them in a ziplock. Typically we just throw them in a bag once cooled but these all stuck together and I now have a massive block of pancake in my freezer. Oy.


Crockpot Santa Fe chicken is really a favorite of mine. It kind of reminds me of Chipotle's burrito bowls (although it's not really similar in flavor... it just has a similar feel to it). I made this a few weeks ago when I was going to be out all day and John was going to be home alone with Landon. I figured if I didn't make it home in time for dinner at least this would be there. Shockingly Landon really liked it! I was so happy.


To go with the chicken above I made cilantro lime rice which is one of my favorite side dishes. I could eat it daily. If you've never tried this one I really urge you to give it a shot!


It wouldn't be a typical month if I didn't remake several pizza recipes, so for my second pizza remake of the month I made white pizza with chicken and mushrooms. This time I used Philly cooking creme instead of the Aloutte cheese just because I had it. I can't say one was better than the other- both worked great!


For Memorial Day we had two BBQs to attend so I wanted to make a simple dish that I could bring to each that was low maintenance. I decided to go with two batches of my spinach dip. It's just the easiest recipe but always is a crowd pleaser.


Last but not least I made these pizza puffs for lunch one day last week and they were awesome. I stirred in a bit extra of the Italian seasonings and garlic powder and they came out amazing. Landon was a fan- more so of the dipping- but he still approved. I need to make these more often.

1 comment:

  1. My hands down favorite was the pizza puffs. Sorry about finishing off the whole tray.... actually I'm not sorry it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete