Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice

Have you ever been to Chipotle? If not- go. It's fast food, yes, but it's fast food with a heart. They use locally grown produce, they actually cook and chop their own food rather than it coming in bags, and they make this rice that seriously causes me to drool.

I had never been to Chipotle and truly never had an interest. But then... one amazing day in January... my niece was born. (And yes- these two stories do relate, so don't write me off for going off topic yet.) We went to see my niece at the hospital and we were all in love immediately. She's perfect. So we went around 11, and nobody wanted to leave... but it was getting close to 3... and EVIL STEPHANIE was starting to emerge. EVIL STEPHANIE is my dark side... and she only emerges when I haven't been fed in the past few hours. But she was quickly emerging and I didn't need to introduce her to my perfect niece. There was a Chipotle right by the hospital so we went there and I was ready to eat everything that wasn't tied down. When they gave me this chicken bowl thing with this rice on the bottom I swear I had almost a religious experience... I was in heaven.

I knew I needed to make the rice at home so I quickly googled and found this from one of my favorite bloggers. And it was so good you'd never know it wasn't from Chipotle. Honestly I thought it tasted exactly the same. Best of all, anytime I eat this stuff I will always think of my beautiful, wonderful, perfect niece Gracie, and how this rice saved her from meeting my dark side.

Source: Skinny Taste

Ingredients:
1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
1/2 lime, juice of
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
4 tsp vegetable oil


Directions:
1- In a small pot add rice, water, 1 tsp. oil, and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates.
2- When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover for about 15 minutes.
3- Shut off flame, cover an additional 5 minutes.
4- In a medium bowl combine the lime juice, cilantro, and remaining oil. Stir well. Add to rice, stirring until well coated.


** 3/4 cup for 5 point plus

12 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I make this with out the additional oil! You won't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try that! I had Chipotle at LEAST two times a week when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this rice! We used to make it a lot. Great reminder for me to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just like you when I haven't been fed. I become this cranky, irritable person! I have to eat or snack on something every 3-4 hours or I'm a mess.

    This rice sounds great, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love Chipotle! I've made this rice before, and you're right. It's exactly like Chipotle's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great! Love their rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Chipotle! I've been meaning to make their rice for a while now. It has such great flavor. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this last night for the second time! Love it, and agree it tastes the same to me too. I love making burrito bowls at home with this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been making this rice for probably two years now, and the only differences I see in your recipe and the way I make it is that I add the lime juice when I add the rice, and then I don't add the additional oil. I'm going to try adding the additional oil. Regardless, I love Chipotle's rice and I love making it at home whenever I want! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you i was looking for this for a while now i love chipotle :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. worked at chipotle...you need to put a bay leaf in with your rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS IS GREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! Thanks :-*

    ReplyDelete