Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Barbecued Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Hi there my friends! I have BIG news. It seems that we may have finally (FINALLY!!!) gotten to the bottom of Landon's food allergy issues. It seems that he is allergic to just soy and not dairy. Did you hear me?! Cheese is reentering my life. Slowly... very slowly... but still, it's amazing. I've only introduced him to cooked dairy and very little at that, but so far he's ok. I can't even tell you how happy this makes me. However, he is highly allergic to soy and reacts to even the smallest trace of soy, so life is still interesting 'round these parts.

As you all know, I love my Asian food but for now that love is on hold. Really I can wait another 8 months for some Chinese and Thai food (I think...). I made these lettuce wraps prior to discovering his soy allergy and they were excellent. Every now and then I get sick of the same old meals and crave something different. This was definitely different for us! We both loved them and it was a nice healthy meal. Plus, best of all it came together in no time. The rice is optional, but I knew John wouldn't be too impressed with wrapping some veggies in another veggie if there wasn't a carb involved. I have to say I did like the rice mixed in to the wraps, so I'd make it if I were you!

Source: Heavily adapted from Rachel Ray

Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 pound chicken, diced small
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 tbsp Chinese barbecue sauce (you can buy a store bought one)
Iceberg lettuce
Rice (optional)

Directions:
1- In a large skillet or wok heat your oil. Add the mushrooms, chicken, and bell pepper. Stir, cooking over medium heat, for 5 minutes.
2- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
3- Add the sauce and raise the heat until sauce is coating the mix.
4- Serve with lettuce leaves and rice, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you guys! : )
    ryanres1

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for figuring out allergies! And a quick and easy and TASTY recipe too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks so good and easy to make. Can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete