Monday, March 12, 2012

Chinese Barbecue Sauce


One week prior to finding out about my son's dairy allergy I had rejoined Weight Watchers to get off the last baby pounds that don't seem to want to budge. After one week on the program I found out about the allergy and was completely overwhelmed- I was looking at every single ingredient I used for dairy and hidden dairy, plus calculating points. John, being the saint that he is, said I needed to stop "the WW" as he calls it for now and focus on the dairy. Sure enough this no-dairy diet is a somewhat effective method of weight loss haha! However, I had already paid for my three month membership so even though I'm not currently counting my points I am using their recipes and tracking my weight loss.

 I do have to say that Weight Watchers has a ton of excellent recipes online. I've tried many and been very pleased. My latest concoction was this barbecue sauce. It was really very good! I used it for a few things so far, namely a barbecue chicken pizza and served with grilled shrimp, and I intend to use it for a few other recipes this week. It keeps for up to two weeks stored in the fridge. It has a very interesting flavor from the Chinese 5 spice, which is new to me. Definitely give this a shot- it's so easy and light, you can't go wrong.

Source: Weight Watchers Online

Ingredients:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup diet Ginger Ale
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
1- Combine all of the ingredients in a small sauce pot. Bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer over low-medium for 5 minutes (or longer if you want it to thicken more).
2- Allow to cool 10 minutes before using. Allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge. Lasts for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment