Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Crockpot Salsa Chicken


This isn't the first time I've posted a crockpot recipe for salsa chicken. A long time ago, when I first started blogging, I blogged this version (be sure to check out my HORRIBLE picture of it too... ::gags::) However as my cooking has evolved and subsequently my tastes, that version just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I feel everyone needs a good go-to crockpot salsa chicken recipe though, so I decided to give it another go with a different recipe. This one was much, much, much better. It's healthier and more natural. Not to mention the flavors are more "real" and less processed. Best of all it makes a ton. We used it for chicken tacos and then I froze enough for two meals worth once the baby gets here.

Just a tip, here are some uses for the shredded salsa chicken: chicken tacos, served over rice and topped with taco fillings, used for quesadillas, mixed with pasta/veggies/black beans and baked with some additional salsa and cheddar cheese, used to make a Mexican pizza... the options are limitless which is really why everyone needs a good version at their fingertips!

Source: Lynn's Kitchen Adventures

Ingredients:
4 large chicken breasts
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup salsa
1 packet of taco seasoning, or 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
1 tsp cumin

Directions:
1- Combine all of the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred with two forks once done.

5 comments:

  1. I made this recipe a while back and loved it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious!! Now I make 2 or 3 batches of this at a time for future Mexican meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it 4 split breasts or the breasts of 4 chickens. (sorry for the silly wording, my butcher and I are having an argument over this recipe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 split breasts... I'd guess about 1.5-2 pounds of chicken.

      Delete
    2. I win the argument! Thanks :-P

      Delete