Thursday, July 1, 2010

Taco Seasoning



I have a problem. A serious problem. Ok, ok, not THAT serious, but a problem none the less. Since I cut recipes in 1/2, or even 1/4, it is really hard for me to use seasoning packets. I always end up using a portion of the packet, folding it up, and putting it in the cabinet for "later." At this point one of two things would happen. Either I'd forget it was there and buy ANOTHER packet of that same seasoning or I'd accidentally spill the packet and have a dusting of seasonings all over my pantry. So annoying.

When I saw this recipe for taco seasoning I knew I needed to make it. Taco seasoning in particular is one that I always use a fraction of the packet and have leftovers. Problem solved. Best of all, I had all of the ingredients at home so this seasoning was easy to make and cost-efficient too. If you use taco seasoning I'd suggest trying this. Best of all? No MSG or other pesky preservatives mixed in!

Source: Chef Mommy, originally from All Recipes

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.

Store in an airtight container.

4 comments:

  1. Cool post! I love tacos...I bet homemade seasoning tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i copied and need to try this! im tired of buying packets of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually tried this recipe a few weeks back and can't taste the difference. My entire house has given up the packets now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate buying seasoning packs so I will definitely try this. It's so pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete