Thursday, January 1, 2009

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken




Before I post the recipe I want to share a cooking tip with you. I got a 6.5 quart crock pot for my bridal shower and love it. However since I need to cook much smaller quantities then 6.5 quarts everything either burns or cooks in one-two hours, completely defeating the point of a crock pot! I turned to the ladies on the cooking board I frequent and sure enough they helped solve my problem! It was suggested that I insert a 1.5-2 quart oven safe covered dish inside the crock pot. It worked perfectly. Here is a picture of the dish I used (that thing on top is a silicone lid, it serves as a trivet or lid. It forms an air tight seal when the contents inside heat up so it works perfectly!):



YUM! I found this recipe awhile back and have meant to make it so many times. Tonight I finally made it and I wish I had made it sooner. I used the chicken to make tacos and it was so flavorful and delicious. John loved it and felt it was the best thing I made recently (which isn't shocking since it was the easiest thing I have made in weeks...go figure! hehe). It can be served over rice, used in tacos, or really even over egg noodles.



Ingredients:
4 FROZEN boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning (I couldn't find reduced sodium so I used regular)
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed) or cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
Add chicken to slow cooker.
Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
Mix salsa and soup; pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
At this point after the chicken was cooked, I shredded it with two fork.
Stir in sour cream until heated.

3 comments:

  1. I love taco night! The crock pot makes the chicken so nice and tender. This was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe I've made in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another awesome dinner! It was really good! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete