Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Quesadilla



When I first lived with John, prior to beginning to cook, quesadillas were on heavy rotation in our house. I could handle throwing some flour tortillas and cheese together, toasting them up, and serving them with jarred salsa. While I still enjoy that combo I do like to experiment with my quesadillas. I first ran across this recipe on this blog and knew I had to make them soon. We both loved these things. It made a very filling and nutritious dinner. John and I both enjoyed this and I have a feeling these will be making a repeat performance on our menu.

Source: Heavily adapted from Ellie Krieger

Ingredients:
4 whole wheat flour tortillas
4 ounces cooked chicken, chopped into small pieces
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cup baby spinach, cut into ribbons
1 cup 2% Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons crushed garlic (about 2 cloves)
Cumin
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Cooking spray

Directions:
1- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
2- Add the diced chicken and cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste, a few shakes of each.
3- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts down.
4- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Lay the tortillas down flat. Spread 1/8 cup of cheese over 1/2 of each tortilla. Top with 1/4 of the chicken and veggie mixture. Top with the remaining 1/8 cup of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half over the filling.
5- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, flip. Cook until both sides are lightly toasted and melted through.

** 6 points for 1 quesadilla (1/4 of the recipe) when prepared with a 3 point tortilla

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie - Just stumbled upon your blog and I'm adding it to my list! Your recipes look great and it's nice that they're on the lighter side as well. I look forward to more posts.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete