Friday, January 29, 2010

Italian Panini



I have been really craving a warm toasty sandwich. Last weekend we went to Panera for lunch one day and I was drooling over the paninis but really didn't want to spend that many calories on a sandwich. However the craving wasn't going away so I knew I had to make sandwiches at some point this week. I made the same type of panini for John and I but I added some prosciutto to his. I was literally drooling while these cooked away and the taste was divine. It definitely helped cure my sandwich craving at a fraction of the points/calories I would have had at Panera.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients per panini:
2 slices of Italian bread
1 ounce of mozzarella cheese
2 slices of tomato
1 big piece of roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
Fresh basil (I didn't use this because my store had none but it would have added a lot of flavor)
Balsamic vinegar
Cooking spray

Directions:
1- Spray both pieces of bread with cooking spray, flipping them over so the sprayed sides are on the outside. Drizzle the bread with balsamic vinegar.
2- Assemble the sandwich with half the cheese on either side of the bread and the veggies in the middle.
3- Place the sandwich on a hot grill pan or panini press, flipping over halfway through cooking time.
4- Cook until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is toasted

** 6 points when made with 3 points worth of bread

No comments:

Post a Comment