Monday, December 21, 2009

Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya



Confession: I have never had jambalaya before. Living in the North East it just isn't as popular as it is in other regions. I have honestly never even seen it in a menu at a restaurant before! I know what it is and always thought it sounded like something I would like but never bothered to make it. When I came across this recipe I immediately added it to our menu. The more I cook the more heightened my awareness becomes of our palates. I am rarely negatively surprised by a recipe and when I am I typically assume I made an error. With that said I was pretty sure we would love this recipe and we both did. It was tasty, healthy, and a welcome addition to our meal plan! I will definitely make this again.

Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers Online

Yields 4 servings- 2 cups each

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
8 ounces uncooked boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
4 cups cooked brown rice
Salt & pepper

Directions:
1- Add the oil to a large non-stick skillet. Add the onions and peppers, heat for about 5 minutes.
2- Add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
3- Add the shrimp, cook about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
4- Stir in the rice. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.

** 9 points per 2 cup serving

No comments:

Post a Comment