Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Butter Spritz Cookies



So Christmas is within arms reach. Are you excited?! I know I am! I have been busy baking and getting ready for the holiday. I am so glad that it is finally here- it really is the most wonderful time of the year. I love being with family, giving gifts, seeing Christmas lights, the whole nine yards. These cookies were part of my cookie platters. I love spritz cookies and have such fond memories of them as a child. My mom's friend always made the best Christmas cookies and these beauties were on the platter every year. I knew I needed to include them on mine and I am so glad I did. I made little Christmas trees and little poinsettias. So cute! My cookie press was a little challenging though! It was my first time using it and I felt like I needed to be a body builder to squeeze the cookies out. I ended up only using part of the dough because it was just too hard to work with. Bummer. I need to figure out how to use that thing because these cookies are just too cute to pass up!

Source: Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 egg yolks
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Sift together the flour and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the sifted ingredients. Fill a cookie press with dough and shoot cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. If you like, decorate with sugar or sprinkles at this time.
Bake for 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have an electric or a manual spritz press? If it's a manual one, you may have to let your dough sit out until it seems too soft to work with...it won't be, and it will squeeze more easily. I switched to an electric cookie press a long time ago, because I was developing a Popeye-sized arm making dozens of spritz cookies with the manual press. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete