Friday, November 13, 2009

Tomato Zucchini



I am not a foodie, Maybe some would say I am since my biggest hobby is cooking and blogging my experiences with food, but I just don't consider myself a foodie. However, as I have developed my love for cooking I have increased my techniques in the kitchen, increased my experience, and enhanced my palate. Some foods that used to hold vast appeal to me (Lipton's Noodle Sides, packaged flavored rice, etc.) really don't anymore. I taste the sodium. I taste something unnatural. And then I fantasize about how I could make this exact side with real ingredients. Ok- maybe I am slowly becoming a foodie...

One major change I have noticed with my palate is my dislike for most chain restaurants. Now, not all chain restaurants are created equal. Some still really appeal to me (California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs) but others just don't (Applebees, TGIFriday's). One new chain I recently discovered was Bonefish Grill. My friend Alison loves that place and has been talking about it for years. I finally got around to trying it this summer and I was converted. I have gone 3 times since my first visit in July and I just love it.

I love the Bang Bang shrimp, the dipping oil and bread, the seasoned jasmine rice, and above all else the tomato zucchini. The tomato zucchini was the seasonal summer vegetable they served this summer with all entrees. It comes on the plate, you don't ask for it. It's just there. So you figure, "Why not? I'll try it." And oh boy- I gobbled it up. It's simple and fresh tasting. Best of all it's easy, uses minimal ingredients, and yet spices up your vegetable side dish without adding fat. Unfortunately Bonefish converted to their seasonal winter vegetable (corn with lima beans and peppers- not that I was there recently...) and I immediately knew I'd be making this at home. I made it using how I remember it tasting and I really can't wait to make it again.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original (Inspired by Bonefish Grill)

Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons of chunky tomato sauce
Garlic powder
Salt

Directions:
1- Slice both ends off the zucchini. Standing the zucchini up on the cutting board, cut down to create three planks.
2- Lay the zucchini on it's side, slicing the zucchini into three equal parts.
3- Working with one section at a time, stand it up on the cutting board and slice the zucchini into three segments, creating 9 zucchini sticks. Repeat this with the other two sections.
4- Heat a nonstick skillet with the olive oil. Toss the zucchini with the oil. Season lightly with salt and garlic powder. Saute under zucchini begins to tenderize.
5- Add the tomato sauce. Stir and continue to hear over low heat until the zucchini is cooked through. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment