Monday, November 16, 2009

Pepper and Parsley Dry Steak Rub



Beef. It's what's for dinner. Well... not in our house. At least not very often. I probably make beef once every couple months. I could honestly never eat beef again and be fine. Unfortunately John disagrees and would probably eat steak once every other week or so. Meh.

I went to Wegmans a couple days ago and saw these beautiful NY strip steaks. They looked really clean and fresh. I also liked the packaging. Isn't that sick? I bought steak because I liked the packaging. I am every marketing executives dream come true. Wrap it up nicely and I will buy it. Sigh. That's probably why I need to stay out of stores like Sephora and Anthropologie- everything is packaged nicely! Ugh... cooking and shopping- my two biggest weaknesses.

This steak rub was awesome. I googled "how do I cook NY strip steak" because I honestly wasn't sure the best method. Since I don't cook steak often I always turn to my good friend google when I am going to cook it. The link listed below was really helpful. I adapted the rub from one of the rubs listed on their website and it was really tasty. I am interested in trying several of their rubs and marinades in the future since this was such a success.

Source: Adapted from Squidoo.com

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon cajun seasoning

Directions:
1- Place the steaks on a clean cutting board. Allow them to rest at room temperature while you prep.
2- Spray a cast iron grill pan with cooking spray. Turn the heat up to medium high heat and preheat the grill for 10-15 minutes.
3- While the grill heats coat the steaks with a thin layer of olive oil, rubbing it into the meat.
4- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients above and stir to combine.
5- Rub the steaks and cover with the dry rub. You want it to form an even layer that coats the steak so it crisps up when you cook.
6- Grill 5 minutes on one side. Flip, and repeat.
7- Move the steaks to an area that receives less direct heat in the grill pan and allow to cook until the desired level is achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment