Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread



I currently have 6 open bags of chocolate chips. SIX. And they're all different- white, milk, semisweet, mini, etc. I decided it was time to use some of them up because honestly this is insanity! I remembered this pumpkin bread recipe and decided to whip it up since I had all of the ingredients on hand. I halved the recipe to yield just one loaf because I don't have two loaf pans. This came out really well. It's moist and light with a nice blend of contrast between the cinnamon and chocolate. Quite tasty if I do say so myself.

I checked my bread after about 55 minutes and the skewer (I used wooden skewers since it's longer than a toothpick) came out perfectly clean. I checked it in 4 areas because I didn't get how it could be done 20 minutes early. They all came out clean so I took it out for fear of over baking it. Ehhh- the bottom is SLIGHTLY undercooked so even though my toothpicks came out clean I wish I had let it keep going. It won't kill us (or I certainly hope not!) but I wish I had trusted the cook time.

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 large egg whites
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks amazing, Steph! I love pumpkin!

    I'm having my first linky party on my blog and the theme is pumpkin. I'd like to invite you to come link up your favorite pumpkin recipe. The link is open until Wednesday at midnight, so please stop by and say hi.

    http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/2011/07/pumpkin-blog-hop.html

    ~Cookin' Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete