Monday, November 2, 2009

Skillet Lime Chicken Tacos



My husband has a demanding job that required him to work crazy late most nights. I eat dinner alone most weeknights so it is important to find meals that either I can eat alone or reheat well for him later on. Unfortunately I am often lacking motivation to make these meals when I can pick up a slice of pizza or grab a sandwich. I don't envy people who live alone- I think I would eat take out nightly if I lived alone! With that said I have been eating take out way too much lately so I decided it's time to get back in the kitchen and get serious. Not only does it save money but it also is a much healthier option.

I have made lime chicken tacos before and really enjoyed them. When I came across this recipe I was fixated on the picture of the soft taco in the blog post linked below. It reminded me of a delicious wrap! I made these for just myself and I LOVED them. I just used one thin chicken breast and small amounts of the remaining ingredients. These blew the other lime chicken tacos out of the water. I love the taste the vinegar adds. Yum Yum. Best of all they were easy, healthy, low-fat, and full of flavor. I know John would love these so I'll have to make them for him one night soon.

Source: Delicious Meliscious, originally from All Recipes

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup shredded lettuce
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup salsa


DIRECTIONS
Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.

Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment