Sunday, August 2, 2009

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits



Confession: I love Bisquick drop biscuits. I feel better now that I got that out.

My love for these started in elementary school. I only bought lunch when they were serving chicken nuggets or pizza but my favorite part was the biscuit that came with the chicken nuggets. One day my dad made drop biscuits using Bisquick and I realized that was essentially the same thing as the biscuits I loved from school. Since then I have been a fan.

When John and I first lived together I would make those biscuits once in awhile for breakfast. I decided to try making them from scratch without a mix. These were so easy to make and took 20 minutes from start to finish. Were they delicious? Yes. Do I like them more than Bisquick drop biscuits? No comment =) These are also pretty bad for you- they have a lot of butter. I halved the recipe and it made 5 biscuits. One was more than enough for me- they are pretty big! Overall, definitely worth a try.

Source: Cook's Illustrated, Nov-Dec 2007

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 stick + 2 tbsp. butter
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
Melt the 1 stick butter and let cool about 5 minutes.
Whisk together the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and the buttermilk, and stir until clumps form.
Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until just incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a ¼ cup dry measure, scoop out and drop 12 balls of dough onto the baking sheet (this is easier if you spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray).
Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 14 minutes.
Let cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits with the butter before serving.

2 comments:

  1. These look great! I love biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use bisquick for lotsa things:)

    These biscuits sound wonderful, Id love to try one with butter and jam.

    ReplyDelete