Friday, July 24, 2009

Not-So-Instant Mashed Potatoes



Awhile back I bought a box of mashed potato flakes for crispy herb baked chicken. Since then the box has just sat in my pantry. My dad and sister stopped by for dinner tonight so I decided to try to use up some of the potatoes. In my efforts to clean out the pantry and freezer I threw these together using various spices and such. They came out shockingly good. They had a nice subtle garlic flavor. Honestly I don't think you could tell they came from a box- they were pretty darn tasty!

Ingredients:
2.5 cups of cooked instant potatoes (follow the directions on the box), steaming hot
1 head of roasted garlic (see directions below), squeezed from skin and smashed
Green onion, chopped
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese

If needed:
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Directions:
1- While potatoes are steaming, add in the smashed garlic cloves and stir until well combined.
2- Stir in the parmesan cheese, green onion, salt, and pepper.
3- Taste- if it still needs a little oomph add the garlic and onion powder to taste (I used a little bit of both.)

How to roast garlic:
1- Heat the oven to 400.
2- Use a whole head of garlic, slice off the top of the head of garlic, exposing the inside.
3- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon EVOO over the top.
4- Wrap loosely into a ball with tin foil.
5- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
6- Once you can handle the garlic, squeeze the cloves out of the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment