Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wheat crackers



I looooooove Wheat Thins. For some reason they bring me back to going on vacation with my family as a kid. To this day anytime I go away I bring a box of Wheat Thins because they represent vacation to me, especially beach vacations. With that said I was so excited when I saw this recipe for wheat crackers. I am trying to be more competent in the kitchen and learn new techniques and new types of food. I had never made crackers before so I figured I might as well try.

I had a lot of trouble with this recipe. My dough was too sticky and in turn I couldn't roll them out thin enough. It kept sticking to the rolling pin even though I generously floured the pin and the surface. I wasn't sure how much 6 ounces of water equated to but online it said 3/4 of a cup. I think this was too much because the dough was really runny. I will be making these again because I am determined to get the recipe right. A few of the crackers were thin enough and they tasted great so I know the recipe is good, I just need to work on my technique. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know!!

Baked Wheat Crackers
(adapted from Alton Brown's seedy crisps recipe)

1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
6 oz water (Next time I will use 3 oz and add more if needed)

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in small bowl, then stir in oil and water by hand until a small ball of dough forms. Knead by hand 4-5 times on a well floured surface, then let the dough rest under a towel for 15 minutes.

Separate dough into 4 parts and roll out each section until the thickness is about the size of a sheet of paper. Place on parchment covered cookie sheet, poking holes in the top to let air escape. (Here's where I cut the dough with a pizza cutter into squares, so they'd be easier to separate after baking.)

Bake at 425 for 5 minutes each side, flipping partway through to ensure both sides are evenly browned.

1 comment: