Saturday, February 28, 2009

Texas Chicken Quesadillas


I had seen this recipe on Allrecipes a while back and bookmarked it. Since then I have seen it pop on various food blogs and decided it was time to give it a go. I made it tonight and we liked them a lot. I was out of onions but they were still really good without the onions. Since I'm not big on onions if I were to make this again I would use just a little bit to add to the taste but not to overpower the quesadilla. If you are looking for something super easy and yummy, try these. I think it took 15 minutes total from the time I started until the time we ate.

I did change up the recipe a bit, mostly to accommodate for my lack of onions and to make less servings. I used 1 chicken breast instead of 2, Mexican blend cheese, less BBQ sauce, and only 4 tortillas (one on the top and one on the bottom for each).

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (I used cooking spray)
1 onion, sliced into rings (omitted)
1 tablespoon honey (I mixed it in with the BBQ sauce since I didn't use onions)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips (I used 1)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce (I used less- probably 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I just used Mexican blend in place of both cheeses)
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas (I used 4 tortillas for the two of us)

Directions:
1- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Slowly cook and stir onion until translucent. Mix in honey. Stir until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.

2- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and cook the chicken in the skillet over medium high heat. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in barbeque sauce and evenly coat chicken.

3- Layer tortillas individually with chicken, onions, and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas. Cook on a large flat pan, flipping when the first side is brown. Cook until both sides are crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment