Sunday, March 1, 2009

Vodka Sauce



One of my favorite foods to order when we go out is pasta with vodka sauce. I could eat it regularly if it wasn't horrible for you. I had seen this recipe on Lauren's blog a long time ago and kept meaning to make it. I finally made it and WOW- it's awesome. This yields a ton of sauce so if you make it for two people be prepared to freeze some!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
2/3 cup vodka
1 onion, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2-2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 quart light cream (I used slightly less than a pint)
3/4 cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
Melt butter in sauce pan. Add vodka and cook until alcohol evaporates.

Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, and then add seasoning and pepper flakes.

Add both cans of tomatoes and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Slowly add the cream while stirring, and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the cheese and stir well.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for suggesting this recipe to me on the Nest. It was MUCH better than the previous recipe I had and one step varies greatly from all the others I found online. Your recipe calls for the vodka BEFORE the sauce which I believe made all the difference. My husband raved about your sauce. Thank you for making dinner a success!

    ReplyDelete