Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Lemon Parmesan Tortellini


Once upon a time I didn't like cream sauces. I thought they were gross, globby, and too heavy. I still often feel that when it comes to cream sauces that you get at restaurants, but I have found the perfect balance for a homemade cream sauce: 1 part chicken broth:1 part cream. For me this prevents the "globby" texture but keeps the deliciously rich and velvety flavor. Once I discovered that I started making way more cream sauces at home, so perhaps this isn't the best thing I ever discovered, but it is one of the more delicious revelations.

This pasta was delicious. I lightly sauced it, as you can see from the picture, but the sauce had enough flavor that it didn't need to be heavily coated. This is one of the recipes I will make over and over again.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup light cream
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated (not the white powder- fresh cheese only)
Basil leaves, torn
1 pound tortellini (fresh is best)

Directions:
1- In a skillet heat the oil and garlic for about 3 minutes. Add the broth and heat over a high heat, about 5-7 minutes. Add the cream, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp lemon zest, Italian seasonings, and heat over medium heat 10 minutes.
2- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini per packaging directions.
3- Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce, stir well. Allow the cheese to melt into the sauce.
4- Add the cooked tortellini to the sauce. Toss.
5- Serve with basil leaves, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment