Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chicken and Farfalle with Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce


The first time I roasted a pint of grape tomatoes I was sold. There was no looking back... I now knew the secret to the most amazing pasta dishes and it comes in the form of blackened charred sweet tomatoes bursting out of their skins. Yum! I routinely buy a pint with no real meal in mind and then think, "Well, shucks... I guess I should roast these up so they don't go to waste..."

This sauce was really made to use up bits and pieces of things I had left in the fridge but in the end it was so delicious that I couldn't believe this meal had started out as an afterthought! The sauce was smooth and rich without being too heavy. Best of all you can cook everything while the tomatoes are roasting so this comes together pretty quickly. Perfect for a busy weeknight!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
Salt/pepper
1/2 pound farfalle (bowtie pasta)
6 ounces chicken, diced into 1" pieces
1/2 cup Philadelphia Roasted Garlic Cooking Creme
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 425. Place the tomatoes in a small oven safe dish. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil, salt, and pepper.
2- Roast uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
3- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to directions.
4- In a large skillet heat the 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5- Cook until brown and heated through, set aside.
6- Once the tomatoes are almost done using a potato masher to mash the tomatoes down (be careful not to get squirted- the juices are hot!) Stir in the Philadelphia cooking creme and allow to cook for about 5 minutes in the oven.
7- Add the pasta, chicken, and roasted tomato mixture to the skillet. Pour in the cream and stir well. Add the basil, stirring well. Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Cannot WAIT to make this. You are a woman after my own heart. Roasted tomatoes are just about my favorite thing in the world, and the idea of using them in a cream sauce? SOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I've never roasted tomatoes before, Pete's not a fan so I usually just buy roma tomatoes for me, but love this idea. Would make a good side dish I'm thinking alongside some stromboli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit too heavy for me...but can think of a substitute or two to lighten it up and retain the flavor of your recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit heavy but I can make an adjustment or two.....

    ReplyDelete