Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Rice


Ok so I disappeared again. But let me tell you... it's been insane 'round here lately. I was dealing with kidney stones, then there was the holiday craziness that comes every year, and now for the past three days my son has been so sick with a stomach virus. There's been minimal cooking and zero blogging (as you can tell) but I figured I better come back with something before you think I forgot about you. I will never forget you... fear not my good friends.

 So anyway, this chicken and rice came about because I wanted something creamy and ricey, but I didn't want to use a can of cream of mushroom/chicken soup because they all have soy protein in them which means they are not allowed in this house due to Landon's allergies. This version was much healthier while still creamy and delicious. Best of all it can be made ahead of time and thrown in the oven when needed. That's my kind of meal!

...and for those of you celebrate, a very Merry Christmas to you! I will be back on the 26th and I plan to get back to my regularly scheduled blogging at that point!

Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken (I used rotisserie)
4 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1 cup grated cheddar & monterey jack cheese+ more for topping if desired

Directions:
1- Preheat oven to 350. 
2- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients  and mix thoroughly to combine. Make sure the yogurt and cheese is stirred in throughout the entire bowl. 
3- Season with salt and pepper if desired. 
4- Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese if you would like.
5- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment