Monday, October 15, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore Stromboli


I'd say chicken cacciatore is one of my top 5 meals. My mom made it all the time growing up so now when I want a meal from childhood this usually is a good bet for me. The other day I knew I was going to be using pizza dough to make a pizza/calzone/or stromboli, but I wasn't sold on anything. Inspiration hit when my dear friend Natalie said she was making chicken cacciatore for dinner and this stromboli was born! It's everything it should be- full of flavor, wrapped in a crisp dough, oozing with cheese... I mean c'mon- could it get any better??

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 bell pepper, cut into thin slices
1/2 small onion, sliced
3 tbsp tomato sauce
4 ounces chicken, diced
Salt and pepper
10 basil leaves, torn
Mozzarella cheese
1 batch pizza dough
1 tbsp oil or melted butter
Garlic powder

Directions:
1- Preheat your pizza stone to 425.
2- In a large skillet heat the 1 tsp oil. Add the garlic, peppers, and onions, cooking until tender. Stir in the sauce and allow to all heat together 5-7 minutes.
3- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet. Cook until cooked through. Add basil.
4- Roll out your dough. Lay the filling from the skillet in the center along with mozzarella cheese (I use about 1/2-3/4 cup of cheese, but this is to taste).
5- Wrap the dough around the filling, sealing the ends.
6- Brush the oil or melted butter over top, sprinkle with garlic powder. Cut thin slits into the top if desired.
7- Bake 15 minutes or until the crust is golden and cooked though.



No comments:

Post a Comment