Monday, March 5, 2012

Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta


When I first found out that I'd have to be eating dairy free for my son's health I was honestly upset. As a foodie this was a devastating blow. I'm not content just eating grilled meat and vegetables, I like variety. The first week that I was dairy free I honestly was in a complete food funk. I think I ate pasta with marinara sauce four times for dinner... literally. Yet after a trip to Whole Foods I stocked up on some dairy free cheeses (oxymoron I suppose...) and felt ready to try something new. I had seen a recipe similar to this from The Pioneer Woman but since she's known to love her butter, cream, and cheese I decided to just take inspiration from her and go my own way. The results were awesome. John even ate seconds of this dairy free "creamy" pasta!

I've decided that in order to keep my blog true to my usual readers I'll write the recipes the way most people would make them, then astrick the dairy ingredients. I'll write a little blurb at the bottom of the recipe to explain what substitues I made to make the meal dairy free. It's like we're going on a little adventure together people... A dairy free voyage.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original (Inspired by The Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients:

Chicken:
6 ounces chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp dried minced onion
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried parsley
Salt & pepper

Pasta:
1/2 pound pasta
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried minced onion
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 packet Swanson Flavor Boost (optional but recommended)
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup sliced fresh basil, divided
1/2 cup milk*
2 tbsp parmesan cheese*

Directions:
1-Combine the chicken and all the marinade ingredients. Allow to marinade 1 hour or more. When ready to cook pour the contents of the bag into a nonstick skillet and cook until cooked through. Chop the chicken, set aside, and keep warm.
2- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to packaging directions.
3- Prepare the sauce- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the garlic and onion, stirring well, about 1 minute. Add the broth and Swanson Flavor Boost (if using). Heat about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and about half of the basil. Heat an additional 5 minutes. Add the milk and parmesan cheese, stir well. Raise the heat until the sauce begins to thicken a bit. Toss in the cooked pasta and remaining basil. Top with the chicken.

*DAIRY FREE SUBSTITUES
1/2 cup milk- sub 1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsp parmesan cheese- sub 1 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast

7 comments:

  1. Honestly, the blog world is so full of recipes with cheesy pizzas and pastas. For me (a person with a sensitivity but not intolerance to dairy), your recipes are going to be that much more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jennifer- I agree with you on that! It's definitely hard to find good dairy-free recipes without make a ton of adjustments.

      Delete
  2. Looks really tasty and I love that you are appealing to an entire group of dairy free eaters. I'm sure you'll inspire many delicious dairy free meals for people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lactose intolerant Mr. will appreciate your new recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great weeknight meal for something tasty, quick, and healthy. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the next recipe I'm going to try. You would thinking going to culinary school all day I'd be sick of cooking but nope, I'm addicted! Love your blog Steph, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete