Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn


Are you a sports person? I'm not. It's one thing that made me scared to have a son- I just have no sports knowledge nor do I have a desire to have any knowledge about sports. So when we were invited to our friends James and Jen's Superbowl party my first thought was, "What should I make?" Because honestly...the Superbowl is 100% about snacks to me! I couldn't decide if I wanted to make an appetizer or dessert so I decided to split the middle and make a snack. This popcorn is really so simple to make and results in an amazing treat. It's rich, sweet, and full of flavor. People were raving about it which is always a good sign. Be warned, my variation yields a ton of popcorn! Typically caramel corn stores well in air tight containers so the leftovers won't go bad too quickly. Try this for your next party. It's definitely a winner.


Source: Heavily adapted from Pretty Peas

Ingredients:
3 bags natural popcorn, popped (standard size bags, not mini)
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
1 2/3 cup light colored corn syrup
5 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 250.
2- Grease 2 9x13 dishes with cooking spray. Pour the popcorn evenly into the dishes and set aside.
3- In a small saucepan heat the sugar, syrup, butter, and salt. Cook about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until completely melted.
4- Pour the peanut butter sauce evenly over the two pans of popcorn. Gently stir to coat.
5- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Once done allow it to cool completely, then break the popcorn into pieces.

1 comment: