Monday, October 17, 2011

Portobello Cheese"Steak"


My husband and I are both reformed mushroom haters. John, being the more adventurous eater in our household, stood strong on his resistance to mushrooms for a long time. Eventually he came around and forced encouraged me to try them. I'm still not a huge fan but I'll eat them cooked into pasta dishes or on chicken.

For the longest time he'd been asking me to make something with portobello mushrooms but I kept resisting. I've come around to the fungus, but not to the point where I want it to be the focal point of my meal. After much debate I decided to give in to his desires and made him this sandwich. Notice the key word there- "made HIM this sandwich." I had full intentions of eating this but then I got repulsed while cooking it (thank youuuuu pregnancy aversions) but ended up really liking the way it looked/smelt once it was done. John enjoyed this greatly and ate it without any words- he just devoured the sandwich. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!

Source: Heavily adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients:
2 sub rolls
1/2 tsp olive oil
2 portobello mushroom caps
1/2 large red bell pepper
1/4 small yellow onion, sliced thin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp hot sauce
Cheese (provolone, cheddar, American- your choice)

Directions:
1- Wash the mushrooms and use a spoon to remove the gills from the mushroom (optional).
2- Slice the mushroom and the bell pepper into thin strips.
3- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Cook until all of the veggies are soft and cooked. Add in the oregano, soy, and hot sauce. Stir and cook an additional minute or two.
4- Divide the mixture in two, topping each pile with cheese until the cheese melts. Once melted remove to toasted sub rolls. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment