Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Boston Market Cornbread


Growing up we would get Boston Market every now and again for dinner. I don't remember the chicken, but I do *clearly* remember the macaroni and cheese and the cornbread. Ohhhh do I remember the cornbread. It was sweet and delicious, light and fluffy, crisp on the sides but soft within. Once I hit college there was a Boston Market near campus where my roommates and I would go sometimes... and guess what I'd get? Yup- a side of mac and cheese with 2 pieces of cornbread. (And I wondered how I gained the freshman college fifteen twenty....)

Now, there's no Boston Market close to us plus I have some pride and wouldn't want to eat mac and cheese and cornbread for dinner (well I'd want to, but I'd feel guilty). Even after all these years the desire for that cornbread just won't go away! So I turned to my best friend, Google, and found a knockoff recipe. This is pretty close! And now I understand why it's so good- it's basically cake. It should be called "Corn Cake" but I'll let that one slide. Best of all this gave me another chance to use my mini loaf pan I got for the holidays from my parents. I love having uses for my random kitchen tools! So give this a shot- if you don't have a mini loaf pan just put it in muffin tins. You can't lose.

Source: Food.com
*I halved this and if made 10 mini loaves.


Ingredients:
2 (8.5 oz) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 (18 oz) box butter OR yellow cake mix
5 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup butter, softened

Directions:
1- Preheat oven to 350.
2- Combine all of the dry ingredients, mixing well.
3- Add the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
4- Pour into well greased muffin tins or mini loaf pans.
5- Bake about 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6- Allow to cool in the pan. Then remove to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment