Monday, February 7, 2011

Cinnamon Glazed Doughnuts


Hi, my name is Stephanie, and I am here to confess my sins some facts about me.  You just need to know these things.

1- I buy butter, sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract at Costco. Yes- I buy metric tons of them, and go through multiple Costco trips of each a year. I'd buy flour there too if it wouldn't take up half my house.
2- I collect random cooking items, like doughnut pans, just because.
3- Sometimes, at 8:00 on a Thursday night, I just need to bake. And sometimes that results in doughnuts.
4- I'm on the school nutrition committee, yet I fed these doughnuts to my students. This clearly was not nutritious. In my defense I only gave each kid 1/3 of a doughnut, which probably makes me the meanest teacher EVER. (Right guys?! I know you're reading this! My students just discovered my blog and now read it daily, much to my dismay and humble embarrassment.)

So back to the business of doughnuts. If you're a fan of my facebook fan page this picture must look quite familiar. And let me tell you, these things are good stuff. It was my first time making doughnuts and these were a success. They are super pretty and quite easy to make. They were a bit... cakey... but that wasn't an issue. They tasted like a cross between a cupcake and a doughnut, and pardon me for asking, but can you imagine anything more amazing?

If you don't have a doughnut pan they are a cheap investment. (Really cheap if you convince your sister to buy them for you for the holidays like I did- Thanks Melly!) But in all honesty, they are about $10 a pan and you will use them over and over again. Well worth the investment, and much healthier than frying them.

Source: Doughnuts adapted from For The Love of Cooking, Glaze from this post

Doughnuts:
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp canola oil

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 450.
2- Stir the dry ingredients together. Add the egg, vanilla, and milk then whisk together for 1 minute. Add the oil and continue to whisk until well combined.
3- Grease the muffin tins. Fill each 2/3 of the way. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Cool completely before icing. Yields 10 doughnuts.


Icing 
Ingredients:
1 1/8 cup powdered sugar
3/4 tbsp. light corn syrup
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1-3 tbsp. water


Directions:
1- Whisk the first four ingredients together. Add the water slowly until it reaches the desired consistency. 
2- Spoon over the doughnuts. Top with sprinkles, if interested. 

20 comments:

  1. So...I've never made doughnuts, but this post just might push me over the edge to try them!! The doughnuts with sprinkles on them are my favorite kind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They.look.so.good!!! I want a doughnut pan now, but I don't have a sister. :( You think my brother might buy me one?

    BTW, I too buy sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla at Costco...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally believe sprinkles have magically powers when it comes to doughnuts. They take every doughnut to the next level. :)
    Not that these doughnuts need any help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound amazing! I will have to get a doughnut pan asap so that I can try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Did you use a ini doughnut pan or a regular one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa- I used a regular doughnut pan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a doughnut pan on my wish list at Christmas! I didn't get one, but after looking at your doughnuts I may just have to go out and buy myself one!!! I looove cake doughnuts so the fact they are cakey is perfect for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to make these! Your photography is excellent, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm tempted to buy a doughnut pan, just so I can make these! :) My friend and I are always buying random baking pans...like for homemade twinkies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to make these! I saw some doughnut pans in a magazine yesterday, so those will be my next purchase. I didn't even know they existed, so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy! I'm adding a doughnut pan to my amazon cart ASAP! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A quick question: I don't have canoli oil. Is it the same if I use olive oil? And the same measurement?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those looks straight out of "The Simpsons" in a "they look so perfect they're almost cartoony" way! I'm totally drooling now. And I love that you're on the nutrition committee but you stay up at night making donuts. I admire you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! I have to make these! A doughnut pan was the best $10 I've spent in a LONG, LON, LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous- if you don't have canola oil the closest substitute would be vegetable oil. If you don't have that you can use olive oil, but it will have a slight affect to the recipe because vegetable and canola oil are tasteless, where as olive oil has a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazingly good! I've never made anything like this before. Thanks for the recipe! I wanted to let you know that I submitted this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephanie,
    I just wanted to let you know we made these before church today. We loved them. I did a cinnamon sugar topping instead of a glaze, because that's what my grandma always did growing up. We loved them. :)
    Thanks for a great recipe.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to make a chocolate glaze. A) Would that be good? B)Can I just add 1/2 cup of chips and heat it up to melt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be good. You can also make the glaze above, leave out the vanilla, and add a bit of cocoa powder.

      Delete