Friday, October 15, 2010

Lighter Mashed Potatoes




Ah... mashed potatoes... it doesn't get much more American comfort food than that does it? 

If I am being honest with you, and I always am, I didn't TRY mashed potatoes until a bit over a year ago. I turned my nose up to the mashed potato. I claimed it was a "texture" thing. Then one day I thought about mashed potatoes and what was in them and I realized if potatoes are good, and butter is good, and milk is good, then mashed potatoes must be good as well. Well, they sure are. Especially when my mom makes them with two sticks of butter. Ohhhh baby, lay the butter on...


Yet, since I tend to be a bit health conscious when it comes to my food I decided two sticks o' butter just weren't gonna work for a side dish. So I lightened up, spiced em up, and ate them up. Love. Love. Love. This isn't a revolutionary recipe, truly it's not, but if you are looking for a lighter version of a classic try these. You can't go wrong.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Serves 2

Ingredients:
3 average white potatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp. light sour cream
1 tbsp. butter
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Directions:
1- Dice the potatoes (skin on or off- it's up to you- I leave it on) into even sized chunks. Bring to boil in a pot of water.
2- Allow to boil until fork tender. Drain.
3- In the pot, add the butter and chicken broth. Return the potatoes to the pot and put the heat over low. Using a hand masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir in the sour cream. If you want it smoother add a bit more chicken broth.
4- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment