Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baked Brown Rice


I have to confess- this was my first time having brown rice. I have always feared it! I love white rice and just wasn't interested in trying the brown rice- even though I knew it was much healthier for me. However when I saw this recipe I decided to give it a shot. It was super easy to make and really quite good. Even John liked it and he isn't big on brown rice. I added a ton of seasonings because I didn't think I'd like it as the original recipe stated with just rice and broth. Overall this is an excellent side dish. It makes almost a risotto type of texture when the broth thickens up. I am glad I tried it because this recipe is seriously a keeper.

Source: Heavily adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

1 cup brown rice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Parsley
Dash of Lawry's seasoning salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the above ingredients in a 3-quart baking pan or casserole dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes before removing the aluminum foil and fluffing with a fork.

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried brown rice either but this looks great! I'm buying some this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to fear brown rice too, but once I tried it I fell in love. I won't eat anything but brown rice now unless I don't have a choice. And this recipe is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is a keeper. So easy, made it on a busy day, threw it in the oven and was good to go when I fixed the rest of the meal. Made plenty for the 2 of us, so had 2 meals, chicken and veggies, next night Mexican. Great flavors.

    ReplyDelete