Saturday, December 12, 2009

Madeira Wine Sauce


Disclaimer- it tastes awesome, it looks less than awesome, sorry the picture doesn't do the taste justice!!

I mentioned in my previous post that I am taking cooking courses. At our first class we made a wild mushroom strudel with a "brown sauce." The woman used this sauce on the strudel and to bulk up a wine reduction for filet mignon. Seeing how many uses she had for the sauce in this one meal I asked what the sauce was. She gave me some basic ingredients and said "But I teach it in my sauce class so take that one." That statement is also know as "I'm not telling you unless you pay to find out." Blah on that! So my friend and I took the ingredients and her basic instructions and tried to figure it out on our own. I made it and honestly it tastes exactly like hers! Hers was deeper brown because she browned her roux. I tried but gave up after 20 minutes when it still wasn't even remotely browning. If I had browned it though this would have been perfect.

With that said this sauce is delicious. I used it on chicken and potatoes but it could also be used to thicken gravy. I would even venture to say it could be used in place of "Cream of _______" soup in some recipes because mine was very condensed. It does thin out when you apply heat though so don't fear.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original, inspired by Diane Albanese

Ingredients:
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup carrots, minced
1/4 cup celery, minced
1 can fat-free beef broth
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter (WW points below figured with light butter)
2/3 cup Madeira wine
salt
pepper

Directions:
1- In a small saucepan heat the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until they reduce in size and are soft and tender.
2- Add the butter and melt into the veggies, add the flour and stir. It will make a thick paste. Heat over medium low until lightly brown in color, about 30 minutes or so.
3- Pour in the Madeira wine, whisk until well incorporated. Add in the beef broth. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Be sure to whisk out any flour lumps.
4- Season with salt and pepper- allow to heat over low for 15 minutes. Run the sauce through a food processor to smooth out any lumps- then serve.

The sauce can be frozen or used immediately.

** 1 point per 1/8 of the recipe

5 comments:

  1. Nice job figuring it out on your own! It sounds like a very tasty and versatile sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog. I love to cook, love new recipes, so I can't wait to get started with some of yours!
    Anyway, WHERE did you find Madeira Wine? I love it, but cannot find it anywhere. I checked liquor store and grocery stores.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina- I got it from the liquor store. They can always order it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. could I substitute corn starch for the flour, I have a family member who is gluten sensitive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I didn't try it so I can't attest, but it should be ok.

      Delete