Friday, September 4, 2009

Pan Seared Potatoes in a Fresh Herb Sauce



I mentioned in a previous post about how I was challenging myself to create one original recipe a week. This recipe is my weekly installment of my original recipes! And my oh my, what a recipe it was. I had decided to make some form of potatoes to go with a store bought rotisserie chicken, but I couldn't figure out what to do with them. I decided I would slice them thin and create some type of sauce to pour over them. I mixed a little of this and a little of that together and at the last minute decided to add the potatoes to the sauce and allow the two to mingle in harmony on the stove for a few minutes. I am so glad I did because this really allowed the potatoes to absorb the sauce and create an almost au gratin style potato, minus all the cheese and cream.

When I took the first bite of these I actually sighed. They were heavenly. They were so creamy and delicious without being laden with cream and cheese. They were full of flavor and perfectly crisp on the outside, while soft on the inside. I really recommend this recipe and I am not just saying that because I invented it- I am saying it because it's that good!

Source: Stephanie Cooks original!

Ingredients:
1 large russet potato, peeled and sliced thin
3/4 cup of chicken broth
1 handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon of flour
2 tablespoons of cream (light, heavy, etc.)
Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Directions:
1- Pat dry the potatoes and make sure all excess moisture is removed.
2- Pour the olive oil in a large skillet and heat over a medium heat.
3- Evenly spread the potatoes over the oil in a single layer and allow to cook until crisp, flip and repeat. Once they are cooked through remove to a plate and cover.
4- Repeat step 3 with any remaining potatoes.
5- Once all potatoes are cooked add the chicken broth and scrape up all burnt on bits. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste. Add the parsley. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
6- Sit in the flour and beat until well combined.
7- Pour in the cream, stir well.
8- Return the potatoes to the skillet. Stir until evenly coated.
9- Allow to cook together for about 2 minutes. Serve hot!

1 comment:

  1. Potatoes and cream are delicious in any combination. Pan searing them gives them even more flavor and a slight crispiness - great recipe!

    ReplyDelete