Thursday, March 13, 2014

Foil Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches


Landon has entered a new stage of toddlerhood: The "I don't want to sleep and I'll come up with 2,500 ways to avoid it" phase. Ugh. It's like, the least fun thing... EVER. So with that said we have pushed bedtime back to 7:15. However, John gets home at 7:30 or so and that's when we eat dinner, so I have about 15 minutes to cook. I've had to get creative and find meals that I can basically make and throw in the oven while I'm up trying to get Landon to bed. These sandwiches were perfect for that! I assembled them, put them in the oven, and then dealt with the battle routine of bedtime.

Let me tell you, these were GOOD. I made them even easier and used Perdue Simply Smart chicken breasts as the chicken. If you haven't tried that chicken yet you must. It's all normal ingredients and it's yummy. It's way juicier and more flavorful then my regular breaded chicken so it's become a staple in my house for nights I don't want to take the extra step. These sandwiches were amazingly easy to make and delicious. John and I both really enjoyed how the bread got warm and slightly crisp. A perfect sandwich!

Source: Adapted from Cassie Craves

Ingredients:
2 sub rolls
2 breaded chicken breasts, cooked and warm
Sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup sliced basil leaves
2 sheets of heavy aluminum foil

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- Slice the rolls in half. Spread a thin layer of sauce on both sides of the bread. Place a few slices of cheese on the bottom part of the roll. Top with chicken. Spread more sauce over the chicken, topping with more sliced cheese and sliced basil. Close the bread, gently pushing down.
3- Roll the subs inside the foil, ensuring there is no roll showing through. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
4- Serve hot.

1 comment: