Thursday, March 20, 2014

Chicken in Tomato-Basil Broth with Cous Cous


Look, I'm not a "good" blogger. I don't post 12 days of cookie recipes before Christmas, I don't post Guinness cupcakes on St. Patrick's Day, I never post anything pink for Valentine's Day, and forget about baking a pie for Pi Day. I just... forget. Ok? I forget. It's not that I don't want to be a "good" blogger, it's that I just... forget. Simple enough, right? And if we're being honest, I've been known to crave a heavy chicken pot pie in August and a caprese salad in February... so I am a complete foodie mess. Forgive me foodies, for I have sinned.

With that said, I WILL mark today with a special recipe. What is today, you ask? Today is the first day of Spring! And I am celebrating that like crazy because it's been a long, cold, harsh winter. My son is dying to run outside. He begs me to let him set up his T-Ball set in the house (which I politely decline), he is just roaring to go play. And me? I am so ready for warmer temperatures and natural light. You see, natural light is a bloggers best friend for their photos. Since I eat dinner at 7:30 or later every night there is no natural light most of the year, so I rejoice when the time comes.

This chicken was the first picture I took using natural light this year. It was totally delicious. I had enjoyed a heavy dinner the night prior and wanted something a bit simpler and this totally fit the bill. We all enjoyed it greatly. Landon was a little perplexed by the cous cous- what was it? Rice? "New-News" (noodles)? But once he tried it he said it was good, then returned to the chicken, my little carnivore. I know I'll make this again, anything that we all love is a total winner in my book.

Source: Adapted from Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations

Ingredients:

1 cup of pearled cous cous, prepared to package directions
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
Salt, pepper, Italian herbs
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 sm onion, chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, chopped
3/4 c  chicken broth
Handful of fresh basil, cut into a chiffonade
Optional: fresh mozzarella, about 1 tbsp per chicken breast, chopped

Directions:
1- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
2- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat
3- Add chicken; saute 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a dish and keep warm.
4- Add a touch of olive oil to your pan if it is dry. Add garlic and onions; saute 2 minutes.
5- Add tomatoes, saute 2 minutes.
6- Add chicken broth and half of your basil. Bring to a steady simmer.
7- Return chicken to the pan and let simmer 5 minutes.
8- Serve over cous cous, top with the tomato broth, basil, and and the fresh mozzarella

1 comment: