Monday, November 18, 2013

Pesto Chicken & Red Pepper Panini


When it comes to food I tend to have very defined opinions. There are foods or brands that I find superior and foods that just don't do it for me. I'm not usually very "go with the flow" about food (ask John... he often says "It's JUST food!" to me). So color me surprised that I'm still not forming a final opinion on my favorite bread to use in my panini grill. After making garlic chicken paninis I was pretty confident it was Italian bread, but now that I've used flatbread... I just can't decide! Ultimately what it comes down to is anything grilled in bread is likely to come out amazing.

I recently made a dinner using pesto and had a small amount left. I decided to use that pesto to make a panini and here we are. Totally delicious. John and I were fans, both of us happily eating and enjoying life. We will definitely have these again, especially considering how easy they are!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original
Yields 2 paninis

Ingredients:
2 flatbreads (or pocketless pita bread)
3 tsp olive oil, divided
6 ounces chicken, sliced thin (about 1 large thick breast)
Salt/pepper/garlic powder
2 roasted red pepper pieces (from a jar), sliced thin
1/4 cup pesto
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 tsp Italian seasonings

Directions:
1- Pour 1 tsp of olive oil into a skillet and heat. Meanwhile, sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the chicken.
2- Once the oil is hot add the chicken to the skillet. Cook until browned and almost cooked through.
3- Pour the pesto and red peppers into the skillet.
4- Cook an additional 2 minutes, until the mix is hot and coated with pesto.
5- Slice each flatbread in half. Divide the chicken and pepper mixture over one side. Top with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella on each sandwich. Top with the remaining piece of flatbread.
6- In a small bowl combine the 2 tsp of olive oil with the Italian seasonings. Brush the mixture over the top piece of flatbread.
7- Transfer to a hot panini press and cook until the cheese melts and the bread is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment