Thursday, November 21, 2013

Spinach Alfredo Pizza


If you don't like chicken on pizza I'm pretty confident I am the worst person to turn to for pizza recipes. I haven't done any scientific studies here, but I'd guesstimate that 90% of my pizza recipes involve chicken. I don't know when the obsession began but it's certainly not ending. I think it's due to my sneaky short cut (I use the frozen Tyson or Perdue grilled chicken strips, or even Trader Joe's brand- cooked over a very high heat with some oil, then dice it up small- it makes the perfect crispy edge to the chicken) but either way, I love it.


I am not a huge alfredo person but I happened to have a jar that needed to be used up so I decided to make pizza. I really didn't want it to be a completely white pie so I added a hint of tomato sauce to the chicken and it was perfect. We all enjoyed it (even Landon who decided bed time was for the weak at heart that day and was still up when John and I ate) and I think I'll be remaking it again this week. It's a great way to use up some odds and ends in this house since I always have a little spinach/a little sauce/etc. left.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
Pizza dough
5 ounces chicken, cooked and diced
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 cup baby spinach, cut into ribbons
1/2 cup jarred alfredo sauce (I like Classico's light version)
1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (or parmesan)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 425 with a pizza stone in the oven.
2- In a hot skillet combine the cooked and diced chicken with the tomato sauce and spinach. Heat thoroughly, about 2 minutes, until the spinach begins to wilt down a bit.
3- Meanwhile, roll out your dough (or use a Boboli like I did this time to make it easier). Top with the alfredo sauce. Top the sauce with the pecorino cheese, sprinkling to cover the whole pizza.
4- Top the sauce and cheese with the chicken/spinach mixture.
5- Sprinkle mozzarella over the whole pie and bake 12 minutes, or until golden and crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment