Thursday, June 20, 2013

Penne Rosa


I've mentioned before that in the food blogging world things tend to get trendy. There was the cupcake trend, the macaroon trend, and too many other trends to even mention. One thing I've seen more and more online that I don't see as much among my friends in "real life" is the use of Greek yogurt in savory dishes. I know many people use it as a substitue for sour cream, but I hadn't gotten too into that idea. When this recipe for a healthier veggie loaded pasta dish kept popping up on my pinterest feed I decided to try it. I wasn't sure about the use of Greek yogurt in pasta, but I was willing to try. I'm so glad I did! This was awesome. The yogurt gave a nice creamy taste and texture to the sauce but it didn't add a weird taste to the sauce like I feared. The original recipe calls for shrimp but I used chicken since Landon was with us for dinner that night (typically he's in bed before we eat). Overall a total winner. I'm really liking the use of the yogurt in this sauce- adds some protein and really makes for a delicious, healthy, pasta.

Source: Adapted from  Back to Her Roots

Ingredients:
1/2 lb penne
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small pinch crushed red pepper flakes
6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium tomato chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup cooked chicken (grilled, rotisserie, etc.), chopped
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
1- Cook penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
3- Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
4-  Remove from heat, add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes.
5- Remove lid and place skillet back over low heat. Add the penne, chicken, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Divide into pasta bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment