Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pineapple Fried Rice


Sometimes inspiration is everywhere... and other times, inspiration is MIA. Lately, it's been the latter of the two. I feel like dinner is just a necessary evil, but hey, I'm sure I'll jump out of this funk soon. This dinner was made on one of those "I don't know what I want... I want something that I don't have... I just want a chef..." nights. I threw it together and as I was eating it and I suddenly felt better. Even though it wasn't what I had wanted it came out really good! The ingredients paired nicely together and really was delicious. John and I were both fans and it was a nice twist on the traditional fried rice!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:

1 tsp. canola oil
1/2 small yellow onion, diced small
1 bell pepper, diced small (I used half red/half green)
3 ounces chicken, diced small
2 cups cooked white rice, day old is best
Soy sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/4- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks- diced small

Directions:
1- Pour the oil in a nonstick skillet. Heat over medium heat.
2- Add the onion and peppers, stirring well to soften, about 5 minutes.
3- Stir in the diced chicken. Stir regularly, until cooked.
4- Remove the chicken/veggie mixture to a dish.
5- Add the rice to the skillet. Allow to heat. Do not stir.
6- After about 3 minutes, stir, and allow to sit again for about 3 minutes.
7- Add the soy sauce to taste (use less, you can always add more, you want it to coat but not soak the rice). Add the garlic powder. Stir well.
8- Add in the cashews and the pineapple. Return the chicken/veggies to the pan. Stir well and allow to heat together for about 4-5 minutes.
9- Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment