Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chicken Scampi


I don't know about you, but I meal plan. Every Sunday I make a list of meals for the week, buy the ingredients, and then make the meals throughout the week (or try to... so many meals never see the light of day!) I had this meal on my menu and one day it was just exactly what I wanted. I was dreaming of the angel hair in the buttery sauce. I was dreaming of heaping tablespoons of parmesan cheese poured over the long, stringy pasta. And boy did it deliver. I must have said to John, "This is just what I wanted!" 5 times in the 10 minutes it took me to eat this. It was delicious, buttery, light (in flavor, not around the mid-section), and just delicious. Best of all it uses ingredients I always have. Win win!

Source: Adapted from  What's Cookin, Chicago

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup white wine or chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded & sliced
1 medium  onion, sliced

Directions:
In a skillet heat the butter and oil over medium high until the butter melts. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the chicken to the skillet along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken until lightly browned.

Once chicken is browned, deglaze the skillet by adding the white wine and lemon juice; stirring to pick up any bits on the bottom of the skillet combine. Lower the heat and allow the chi
cken to simmer for 10 minutes. Add sliced peppers and onions and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes until peppers are tender.

Serve tossed with buttered pasta (such as angel hair), over rice or with potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. I found this post on pinterest and had to make it. It turned out great! Although I had to make a few adjustments because I messed up by forgetting the lemon juice. Since I missed the "tart" taste I just wanted it creamier so I added a little cream cheese. I loved it with a little tweak on my part!

    ReplyDelete