Monday, December 20, 2010

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries


If I'm being honest, I don't **love** sweet potatoes. I know, I know... they are the healthiest potato. I get it. I really do. But... I'm just a big fan of the white potato. However, as I try to force myself to be a healthier person sweet potatoes are becoming more and more of a star in my little ol' kitchen.

I once bought a bag of Alexia's sweet potato fries and realized that as long as they are spicy I am a fan of sweet potatoes. The other day I decided to ditch the frozen fries and try my hand at making my own. A little bit o' this and a little bit o' that... and next thing you know I have a delicious side dish.

John and I both really liked these! I will say that I didn't measure any seasonings, everything is an approximate. These really need to be seasoned to taste because what I consider spicy and what you consider spicy are clearly going to be quite different. I will be making these again- soon. A real staple in our kitchen.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes
2 tsp. canola oil
1-2 tsp. taco seasoning (you can use packaged instead)
1/2 tsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
1/4 tsp. cajun seasoning
cooking spray

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 400.
2- Wash, dry, and peel the potatoes. Slice into even strips.
3- Toss the potatoes and oil in a zipper bag. Toss well to evenly coat.
4- Add seasonings to the bag, toss. (Start off with less that you might want, then add more if you feel it's not enough.)
5- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay fries in an even layer. Bake until browned on top, about 15-20 minutes. Flip. Bake another 15 minutes. (Cooking times will vary based on him thick you can the fries). Cook until soft inside and crispy on the outside.

4 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes, but always burn the fries. But when I don't burn them, sweet potato fries are in my top ten foods ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use for taco seasoning! These look addicting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great~ I always have trouble getting my sweet potato fries to be crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these tonight for my 8-month old. He'd had sweet potatoes before, but it was his first try at something spicy. He LOVED them! (So did I). Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete